The rules on child seats can be rather confusing especially if you are visiting the UK from overseas. Hiremebaby ensures that all car seats rented meet the latest EU regulations and we can help make sure that you select the right seat for your child as well as checking compatibility with your car. We offer car seats across all categories suitable from birth up to 12 years+ and with extended rear facing up to 4 years.
We like to help our customers stay informed so we’ve put together a helpful summary of facts to help you navigate the rules around car seats in the UK.
1) All children must use a child car seat until they are 12 years old or 135cm (4ft5in) whichever comes first. After this, children must use an adult seatbelt. Car seats must be fitted correctly according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
(Safety experts recommend a car seat is used for all children under 150cm (4ft11in).
2) Children must be positioned rear facing until they are 15 months old. After 15 months old, children can be positioned forward facing.
(Safety experts recommend children are positioned rear facing for as long as possible. Research has shown rear facing to be 500% safer for children up to 2 years of age.)
3) Backless booster seats are only permitted for children over 125cm in height and weighing more than 22kg. Hiremebaby do not hire backless booster seats - we offer a high back booster seat suitable for children up to 12 years (36kg)
4) Legally, a child can travel without a car seat in a taxi or private hire vehicle in the rear of the car, without an adult seat belt if they are under 3 and with an adult seat belt if over 3.
5) Legally, if the correct car seat is not available, children over 3 can travel in a car wearing an adult seat belt if the journey is unexpected, necessary and over a short distance. This does not apply to children under 3, unless in a taxi.
6) It is the drivers legal responsibility to ensure children are in appropriate car seats whilst travelling.
Hiremebaby do our best to accommodate all car seat rental enquiries. We try our best to respond to urgent last minute requests but please try to give us as much notice as possible to secure your car seat booking with us.
email@example.com 00 44 7867481769